Monday, December 12, 2011

Recipe Tweak - Weelicious' Vanilla Wafers

I've been meaning to make these vanilla wafers that I saw on Weelicious, and I finally got around to it, today.  When a recipe calls for "butter", I usually use Earth Balance Soy-Free spread, but it occurred to me that it might be making my daughter just a little bit itchy.  It has pea protein and she has been a little itchy after peas, before, and it also has olive oil, which is unconfirmed and the natural flavor is derived by corn, which is also suspect, from time to time.  Anyway, it dawned on me that I could substitute with my beloved Spectrum Organic shortening, made from 100% palm oil!  So, here is the link to the original Weelicious recipe, and below is my allergy-friendly tweak.

Allergy-Friendly Vanilla Wafers
(makes 48 wafers)
*KAF GF MPF Ingredients: rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, whole grain brown rice flour --Risk of flax seed cross-contamination

(The following is copied from the Weelicious recipe, with the ingredients edited.)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Place the first 3 ingredients in a bowl and combine.
3. Place the shortening and sugar in a standing mixer (or bowl using a hand mixer) and cream for 3-4 minutes until the butter is light and fluffy.
4. Add the vanilla extract and egg replacer and mix for another minute, scraping down the sides of the bowl as you go.
5. Add the flour mixture and mix until combined.
6. Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
7. Roll 1 tsp. of dough into a ball, about 1 inch, and place on a parchment or Silpat-lined baking sheet.
8. Flatten each ball into a disk then bake for 15 minutes.
9. Cool and serve.

I was pretty happy with how well they came out, considering that I merely substituted the GF flour mix for regular flour, without adding any xanthan gum or additional baking soda/powder.  I forgot to take a picture of the final product, but here is one of the wafers before they went in the oven:

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis