Monday, December 5, 2011

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Biscuits

I concocted this recipe, today, which is a modification of the biscuit recipe from the Bisquick Gluten-Free Baking Mix box, but with King Arthur Flour Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour.  I love the way the Bisquick biscuits come out, but I think something in them is making my daughter itchy, so it's on hold for a while.  Here is my attempt at a biscuit recipe.  I think it came out fairly decent. :)


Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Biscuits 
(Corn-Free, aside from the xanthan gum)
Makes 6 Biscuits
*KAF GF MPF Ingredients: rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, whole grain brown rice flour --Risk of flax cross-contamination
**The Ener-G customer service representative assured me that all corn is removed from the final product, but those with a severe corn allergy may wish to try guar gum, or another corn-free option.
***I used vanilla hemp milk, because that's all I had on hand and it really did not give it a vanilla flavor, at all.  You should use plain non-dairy milk, of course.
  1. Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, xanthan gum and baking powder.
  3. Cut in shortening with a fork, or a pastry blender.  (A pastry blender definitely works best.)  Keep blending it until it's crumbly and you've incorporated as much of the flour as you can.
  4. Prepare the egg replacer in a small bowl, per package directions.
  5. Mix in the applesauce and non-dairy milk.
  6. Make a well in the flour mix and pour in the wet ingredients.  Stir until combined.
  7. Using a cookie scoop, place scoops of batter onto a lined cookie sheet or muffin top pan.
  8. Bake for 22-25 minutes.  Remove from oven and cool on cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis