Saturday, November 26, 2011

Mini Muffins

I had a relative success in the kitchen, this morning, so I thought I'd share.  It's not earth-shatteringly awesome, or anything, but it was edible and that's what I strive for, in the kitchen! ;)

This made about 16 mini-muffins in a 24-mini-muffin tin.

Allergy-Friendly Mini-Muffins
Milk-Free, Egg-Free, Wheat-Free
  • 1 c. Bisquick Gluten-Free Pancake and Baking Mix*
  • 1 "egg" (using Ener-G egg replacer)
  • 2 T. light brown sugar
  • 2 T. sweet potato puree (I used Gerber Organic 2nd Foods Sweet Potato baby food)
  • 3/4 c. pear juice (or fruit juice of your choice)
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
  2. Grease mini-muffin tin with Spectrum Organic Shortening, or line with mini-muffin liners.
  3. In a small bowl, mix prepared "egg", light brown sugar, and sweet potato puree and juice.
  4. In a medium bowl, place the Bisquick Gluten-Free baking mix, and make a well in the middle, as you would for bread-making.  
  5. Pour the wet ingredients into the middle and mix until combined.
  6. Using a small cookie scoop, fill mini-muffin tins.
  7. Bake 20-22 minutes.
*I wrote to General Mills to ask about their "May contain soy ingredients" warning and this was their response:

Our products are labeled for the top 8 allergens (peanuts, tree nuts, dairy products, eggs, soy, wheat, crustaceans, and fish) plus sesame, sunflower and mollusks. We label for these allergens using CONTAINS and/or MAY CONTAIN lists located directly below the product’s ingredient list.

CONTAINS means that the allergen(s) is included in the product’s recipe. The allergen(s) will be listed in the ingredient list, and also in the CONTAINS statement just below the ingredient list.

MAY CONTAIN means that the allergen(s) is not in the product’s recipe but could be present as result of the manufacturing process regardless of our best efforts to exclude it. These allergens will not be included in the ingredient list.

Both CONTAINS and MAY CONTAIN mean that if you are sensitive to the specific allergen(s) in the list, no matter which way it is listed, you should avoid this product.


My daughter's allergy to soy is mild, so with only a risk of trace amounts from cross-contamination, I decided to try it out and it didn't cause her any problems.  However, if your child has a severe soy allergy, it would be best to use another baking mix.  They did stress that we should read the ingredients list each time, as product formulations may change.     

The muffins didn't actually taste much like sweet potato, but I wanted to throw it in there, to add a little added nutrition.  I used pear juice, because that's what I had in the pantry.  I think these are good when you want to have a little snack handy, or for playdates, etc.

I must say that I've been pretty impressed with the fluffiness of the Bisquick baking mix.  I also made some pancakes with them, that my daughter liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis